If you’ve only ever had broccoli steamed or boiled, you may not be jumping at the chance to fit it into your diet. But the truth is, there are plenty of actually delicious ways to cook this cruciferous veg — so much so, you won’t just tolerate it, but you’ll actually crave it. One way is TikTok’s smashed broccoli. Another is this recipe for broccoli “tater” tots.
That’s right: broccoli tots. If you love the texture of tater tots but are trying to eat more nutritious veggies, these broccoli tots need to make their way onto your table.
This quick and simple recipe comes together in 25 minutes and uses just five ingredients, plus salt and pepper. Thanks to the cheddar cheese and panko bread crumbs, these broccoli tots will satisfy your cravings for something oily and crunchy — but because they’re made of broccoli instead of potatoes, you get extra nutrients in every bite. One cup of broccoli offers about two grams of protein, two grams of fiber, and plenty of other important micronutrients including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and iron, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.
Whether you’re looking for a creative Thanksgiving side dish, a way to convince your kids to eat more veggies, or you’re just enticed by the name, give these broccoli tots a try. Guaranteed, even broccoli haters will be going back for seconds.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
1 small shallot, minced
2/3 shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF, and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Steam your broccoli florets for 2 minutes, and chop well into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped broccoli with the rest of your ingredients. Mix until totally combined.
- Scoop a large spoonful of the mixture in your hands, and shape it so it resembles a tater tot. Place on your baking sheet, and repeat until all mixture has been used.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, and enjoy warm from the oven.
- North American
- 20 tater tots
- Total Time
- 24 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving